Washington’s wine country is known as one of the best wine-growing regions in the country, and we certainly think every wine lover should experience a Walla Walla wine tasting at least once! The wineries here are in close vicinity to one another making it easy to sip and swirl your way through the area. We’ve found that sticking to three Walla Walla wine tastings in one day is the perfect number.
Lucky for us, some of the best wineries in the state, both from the Walla Walla Valley Wine Region and the up-and-coming Red Mountain Region are not far from Cameo Heights Mansion. Our luxury Inn is located right in the heart of Washington wine country. If you’re looking for a wonderful and relaxing place to get away this spring and summer, how does a touch of luxury at our 5-star hotel, combined with pool time, fine-dining, and wine tasting, sound to you? With more than 100 incredible wineries located within a 35-mile radius of our hotel, Walla Walla wine tasting has never been easier!
Cameo Heights Mansion is situated in the quiet countryside surrounding Walla Walla and the Tri-Cities. Beyond providing 5-star service and luxury amenities, we also offer guests and other visitors the chance to dine at one of the best restaurants in the area, The Vine Restaurant. If this sounds like the intimate, secluded, and romantic getaway you’ve been dreaming of, then now is the time to make your plans. Book your room at our luxury boutique hotel today!
Where to go Wine Tasting in Walla Walla
Walla Walla is only a 4 1/2 hour drive from Seattle and just under 4 hours from Portland (or a much-easier 1-hour flight!) for a lovely getaway. Though wine grapes have been growing in the area since the 1800s, it hasn’t been until relatively recently that Walla Walla really took off as a wine destination to watch. The modern wine era of Walla Walla really got its start in 1970 with the foundation of Leonetti Cellar, but it wasn’t until 1984 that the area was designated as its own AVA.
Just as every Walla Walla winery is distinct, so, too, are the wines they produce. We’re known here for our big, bold reds and crisp, minerally whites. They range from robust, tobacco-scented Cabernets and highly nuanced Merlots to blackberry-hinted Syrahs that melt in your mouth. There is also plenty of white, rosé, and specialty wines produced in the area.As you move through your Walla Walla wine tasting adventure, we have little doubt that you’ll be pleasantly surprised by the range of varietals grown and produced here.
The Walla Walla wine tasting region is divided into five main districts, each of which offers visitors its own unique vibe. They include the Downtown, Southside, Westside, Airport, and the Eastside districts. Before you start planning your Walla Walla wine tasting adventure, be sure to check out our guided wine tours, one of the best ways to explore in-style. Here are ten sensational wineries to consider adding to your itinerary.
Plan the Best Walla Walla Wine Tasting:
- L’ecole No. 41: This winery is a great place to start your Walla Walla wine tasting adventure, especially if you’re new to Washington wines. They’ve won a number of awards over the years, including winning the best Bordeaux blend in the world.
- Abeja Winery: Enjoy a relaxed and delicious Walla Walla wine tasting experience at this rustic farmhouse-style property. Surrounded by golden wheat fields at the foothills of the Blue Mountains, you’ll sip some fantastic Cabernet to this view. Be sure to make an appointment in advance for a tasting here.
- Seven Hills Winery: As one of the oldest and most respected wineries in Walla Walla, this winery is a great addition to your Walla Walla wine tasting itinerary. The downtown location offers multiple choices for flights and guided tastings.
- Foundry Vineyards: You’ll find a wonderful marriage between art and wine at thus tasting room. The owners are artists in their own right, and their tasting room features a gallery, a sculpture garden, and a design shop. The wines are often creative, too, but perennial favorites include their un-oaked chardonnay and their series of sparkling wines, which are all done in the pétillant-natural style.
- Doubleback Winery: This winery is especially popular with New England Patriot fans, as it’s co-owned by Drew Bledsoe of NFL fame. The views are stunning here, set back in the foothills with panoramic vistas and the perfect place to enjoy a glass of organic Cabernet or Merlot.
- Long Shadows Winery: There’s a luxurious feeling as you step into this tasting room—you’ll instantly feel pampered. With leather club chairs to sink into, large picture windows framing your view, and Chihuly glass on display, this is easily one of the most elegant Walla Walla wine tasting rooms around. Not only is it a beautiful place to sip wine, but the wine is more than fantastic. Their Bordeaux blends and Rieslings, in particular, are worth a taste!
- Tranche Estate: This Walla Walla winery is all about Rhone-style blends. Enjoy a flight and tour without pretension. On Friday nights, they often host live music, creating a fun atmosphere for sipping and dancing.
- Valdemar Estates: The family behind this Walla Walla winery has been making wine in Spain for over 130 years, and as a result, this spot features some truly rare Spanish wines that you won’t find at other venue in the area.
- Mark Ryan Winery: The wines from Mark Ryan are produced from grapes grown in the the Red Mountain AVA, the final product: full-bodied red wines with a hint of smoke and well worth your time. The small and cozy tasting room is located in downtown Walla Walla.
- Woodward Canyon Winery: As one of the earliest wineries in the area, the old-world-inspired wines are delicious, and a Walla Walla wine tasting takes place in a beautifully restored 1870s farmhouse.
We’d be happy to help you plan a private wine tour to some of the area’s top wineries, too. We offer luxury limousine service to the nearby Walla Walla tasting rooms, which often include private wine tours. Our safe and secure transportation allows you the freedom you crave to enjoy your wine tastings responsibly!
Wine, Dine, and Relax at our Walla Walla B&B
It’s never been easier to drink great wine, savor a delicious meal, and relax in luxury than it is at our Walla Walla Bed and Breakfast. This is what makes Cameo Heights Mansion such a delightful getaway. With just seven luxurious and internationally-themed guest rooms, a world-class restaurant on-site, and easy access to the area’s top wineries, we offer an incomparably intimate getaway to Washington’s wine country.
And, when you don’t feel like venturing out beyond our property for the day, there’s plenty here to enjoy as well. Relax in our pool or hot tub, curl up and watch a movie, enjoy the sunset over this beautiful countryside, take a hike in the area, or enjoy any of our incredible amenities! Experience the best of Walla Walla wine tasting this spring and summer, and book a room at our luxurious hotel today!
Source: Cameo Heights