Autumn is a beautiful season in Washington! There are so many things to do in Walla Walla during the fall, which really makes it an ideal time to visit. The weather is perfect, from the crisp sunny days to the cool cozy evenings. As the leaves begin to change, the wineries come alive with harvest preparations and festivities. Wine makers and enthusiasts look forward to this time of year for the new release vintages and celebrations.
Of course, the most popular choice of the things to do in Walla Walla (any time of year!) is wine tasting. We’re Washington wine country at its finest, with 120 wineries and tasting rooms producing some of the best big, bold reds and crisp, elegant whites. The Walla Walla Valley is the perfect place to discover interesting blends and varietals—plus, it’s likely that you might even meet the wine makers in the tasting rooms and on winery tours.
Of course, booking Cameo Heights Mansion will be the pinnacle of the best things to do while vacationing in Walla Walla. Not only will you be right in the heart of wine country, you’ll have access to our luxury pool and hot tub, the Country Spa for services, and our on-site fine-dining restaurant The Vine. Each of our seven guest suites are internationally-themed with high end amenities and everything you’ll want for a comfortable and relaxing stay in Walla Walla.
We can’t wait to be your host in wine country! Book your stay today.
The All Time Best Things to do in Walla Walla in the Fall
While planning your next trip to Walla Walla, here are some favorite activities to add to your itinerary:
- Walla Walla Balloon Stampede: While the 2021 Hot Air Balloon event has sadly been canceled this year, it’s such a popular weekend in Walla Walla that it’s best to start planning ahead for next season. This is one of the best things to do in Walla Walla in the fall because it’s absolutely breath-taking to see all of these colorful balloons lighting up the sky like a rainbow.
- Stroll through Pioneer Park: In the fall, the trees will be awash in color at this downtown park in Walla Walla. You’ll find serene walking trails, an aviary and duck pond active with beautiful birds, and a pretty, picturesque band stand gazebo perfect for a break in the fresh air.
- Fort Walla Walla Museum: One of the best things to in Walla Walla for an educational and entertaining outing is visit this museum located on the grounds of a 19th century military fort. You’ll find beautiful garden grounds, a 17-building pioneer settlement, and five large halls packed with exhibits and interactive displays.
- View the grounds of Whitman College: This private liberal arts college has lovely 117 acre grounds, peppered with sculptures and artwork, perfect for an afternoon stroll. The old trees, historical buildings, and young folks heading to class really create a special atmosphere that bring you back to your co-ed days.
- Fall Release Weekend: The first weekend in November is an exciting time in the Walla Walla Valley. Visit tasting rooms and wineries in the area for newly released wines. While in past years, Fall Release Weekend is accompanied with large gatherings and parties, these have been postponed for now, but individual wineries are creating their own special ways to celebrate. Check these out these wineries for harvest plans!
- Create your own blend: One of the more special things to do in Walla Walla is the blending experience at Northstar Winery. First you’ll taste through a limited release line up of Northstar wines. Then you’ll get to try your luck at creating your very own wine blend and take a bottle home to enjoy at a later date.
- Wine Tasting: Whether it’s out in the vineyards or at the tasting rooms in downtown Walla Walla, you’ll find an abundance of wine tasting opportunities here. Thankfully, as a guest at our Walla Walla bed and breakfast you’ll have access to the premier touring packages for limo transportation through the valley. It’s by far one of the greatest things to do in Walla Walla! It’s a spectacular way to explore the wine region in style, and always so much more fun with a designated driver.
- Shopping Downtown Walla Walla: A favorite of all the things to do in Walla Walla is head downtown for shopping. You’ll find an array of shops for clothes, housewares, antiques, gifts, and specialty items along the charming downtown Main Street.
- Dine at The Vine Restaurant: One of the best restaurants in Walla Walla is on-site at our bed and breakfast. The seasonal chef’s tasting menus at The Vine rely as much as possible on local sourcing—we even use produce from our own garden whenever possible! The 200 plus bottle wine list in unparalleled with an amazing selection catering to the most discernible palates.
- Country Spa at Cameo Heights Mansion: On any getaway to our area, one of the best things to do in Walla Walla begins at the Country Spa. Our on-site oasis of relaxation offers couples or solo massage from a talented therapist with gently scented oils, warm towels, and cozy comfortable robes. It’s truly the ideal way to kick off any vacation!
Elegant Lodging at our Walla Walla Bed and Breakfast
We may be a bit biased, but we fully believe that one of the best things to do in Walla Walla is staying at Cameo Heights Mansion. Our location is ideal for a getaway for relaxation and rejuvenation, while also being just close enough to all the action of downtown Walla Walla and the local wineries. With only seven guest suites, you’ll never run into crowded areas and our spacious bed and breakfast offers plenty of room for privacy and quiet.
Join us this fall to experience all the best things to do in Walla Walla. Book your suite today!