One of the favorite pastimes in this area of Washington is exploring the beautiful countryside on these hikes near Walla Walla. You’ll find rows of vineyards, stunning ancient orchards, fields of rolling wheat, and rugged mountainous terrain, all right here in this quiet part of the state. Spring is when Walla Walla and the surrounding areas come alive. Buds and blooms pop, the temperature rises to warm sunny days, and the chill of winter is a long-lost memory.
For those who enjoy hiking in the great outdoors, you’ll love the central location of our luxury bed and breakfast and all of the options for hikes near Walla Walla. Cameo Heights Mansion is an oasis of calm in the heart of Washinton wine country with all of the amenities one needs for a restful getaway. Our seven romantic suites are each tailored for relaxation with beautiful en suite bathrooms, gas fireplaces, and stunning views. Spend your days hiking and wine tasting; and your evenings in your luxurious suite or by our waterfall-filled pool.
The Best Hikes near Walla Walla for Spring
While as a guest at our Walla Walla bed and breakfast, you’ll be able to explore our lovely grounds, which in our opinion, are some of the best hikes near Walla Walla. The gardens and orchards at Cameo Heights Mansion come alive in spring with beautiful blooms. You’ll find trails that weave through the apple trees and vineyards for such a pleasant walk in our own backyard.
Here are our favorite hikes near Walla Walla to check out this spring:
- Badger Mountain is just outside Richland, WA, about 40 minutes from our luxury Bed and Breakfast, and a popular place for hikes near Walla Walla. Sage Brush, native grasses, and wildflowers cover the hills of the desert landscape. There are five main trails here, varying in length and difficulty—depending on elevation gain. But expect that all of the routes have incredible views.
- Bennington Lake in Walla Walla features more than 20 miles of trails. The Whitetail Trail is almost five miles and winds along the west side of the lake, and the Meadowlark Trail, more than two miles, follows closely by the lake. Hikers love the fantastic lake breezes, which cut through the warmth of Walla Walla’s spring and summer months.
- The McNary Wildlife Refuge features some excellent hiking trails. This nature preserve contains a self-guided loop with a great view of the thousands of birds who call the refuge home. The course is reasonably flat, easily accessible, and follows the Walla Walla River, making it an excellent option for a stroll.
- The Horseshoe Prairie Trail just over the border in Tollgate, OR, is genuinely a lovely find for avid hikers. In the spring, you’ll find wildflowers and mountain views on these hikes near Walla Walla. While it’s a bit of a trek, the hour’s drive is scenic and winds you through the diverse landscape, unique to this part of the state.
- For one of the most scenic routes in the area, head to The South Fork of the Walla Walla River Trail. The path weaves through an evergreen forest, and the trail is clearly marked and well-maintained. You’ll cross over wooden bridges and walk along the river. This trailhead is a little over an hour away from Cameo Heights Mansion, making this the perfect day trip, but sure to pack a picnic.
Stunning Lodging in the Heart of WA Wine Country
Arriving back at our Walla Walla Bed and Breakfast after a day out on these hikes near Walla Walla is a fantastic feeling. You can soak your tired muscles in our pristine outdoor pool, plan for a rejuvenating massage at our spa, or sink into your cozy king bed for an early afternoon siesta. Whichever you choose, you’ll be refreshed and ready to eat! Head to our award-winning on-site restaurant, The Vine, for an incredible multi-course dinner paired with an extensive wine list. The best part? You’ll be just a short walk back to your room, so sit back and enjoy!
After savoring seasonal dishes from our brilliant chef and sipping on Walla Walla wine, you’ll love heading back to our beautiful suites. Each of our seven guest rooms mirrors the feeling of a special place from far away, soaking up the romance of the Italian Rivera to the luxury of Dubai; you can find a hint of each at our hidden gem in Walla Walla. Join us for a lovely retreat at the mansion and book your room today!
Source: Cameo Heights