While the Red Mountain AVA might be the smallest in Washington State, the wine grown here packs a powerful punch. The region encompasses just over 4,000 acres, and 2,000 of those acres are dedicated to vineyard cultivation of primarily red varietals. Cabernet being the dominant vine, the Red Mountain AVA’s Cabernet Sauvignon’s are recognized worldwide for balance, boldness, and rich, rounded flavor.
Red Mountian wines are some of the most sought-after of Washington-produced varieties and on a getaway to Walla Walla, a day trip over to the Red Mountain AVA for wine tasting is a must. On a vineyard tour in the Red Mountain AVA, you’ll learn that it’s the combination of the sandy loess soil, low precipitation, high winds, and severe temperature swings that create the ideal growing conditions for these big, intense reds.
As a guest at our Walla Walla bed and breakfast, you’ll only be a scenic 45-minute drive from the award-winning wineries of the Red Mountain AVA. Additionally, we offer a winery tour in our luxury limo, so let us know that you’d like to explore the wine tasting options of the Red Mountain AVA and sit back and relax. The shuttle will bring you back to our Inn, where you can finish the day in one of our seven comfortable and elegant suites.
We can’t wait to host you in the New Year! Check our availability and book today.
Wine Tasting in the Red Mountain AVA near Walla Walla
One of the best things about visiting the Red Mountain AVA is the high density of wineries within a small area.
- Col Solare Winery: Two master winemakers are behind this Red Mountain AVA label. Book the barrel room private tour for an in-depth look at the winemaking facility and seated wine tasting with small food pairings.
- Fidélitas: Taste through the selection of Bordeaux varietals at this Red Mountain winery. Find a shady spot in an Adirondack (made from wine barrel slates) on their outdoor patio with some of the best views of vineyards.
- Hamilton Cellars: Come for the wine, and stay for the view at this gem in the Red Mountain AVA. They offer flights of their award-winning whites, reds, and estate varietals.
- Hedges Family Estate: You’ll find all biodynamically produced wine here, focusing on a connection to the earth and time-old traditions. Spend a day tasting and touring at this French country-style chateau in Washington.
- Hightower Cellars: Nestled in the vineyards, this Red Mountain winery offers beautiful outdoor spaces for flights, glass pours, food pairings, and bottles to go.
- Kiona Vineyards: This longtime winery is the brainchild of two engineers turned winemakers. Planted in 1975, you’ll find traditional varietals as well as some more unusual varieties like luscious Lemberger.
- Tapteil Vineyard: The panoramic hilltop terrace is the perfect spot for a picnic and a flight of outstanding Red Mountain wine. Enjoy a sampling of their housemade oils and vinegar as well.
- Upchurch Vineyard: Head to this rustic tasting barn for a lovely showing of Red Mountain Washington wine. They pride themselves on sustainable farming practices and producing beautiful, big wines.
Luxury Lodging near Red Mountain Washington
Our premier Walla Walla bed and breakfast is the ideal lodging for your wine-focused getaway to the Red Mountain AVA. Our seven private suites are beautifully appointed with high-end amenities, luxurious spa-like bathrooms, and stunning views. After a day of drinking the bounty of Red Mountain wine, settle into Cameo Heights for a cozy night by the fire or a soak in the hot tub under the vast night sky.
Guests return year after year to our Walla Walla B&B for the impeccable service and welcoming hospitality, on-site gourmet dining at The Vine restaurant, the seasonal pool, and relaxing massages at the Country Spa. You’ll have everything you need here at our oasis in Washington wine country for a romantic and memorable getaway. Book your next stay today!
Source: Cameo Heights